AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Ivanhoe Abrahams
Hi all,

This is my first post to this mailing list, :-)

I have checked out aries trunk, as explained on the website, and built it, everything went fine.
However when i proceeded to build and run the blog sample app. I get the following error on start up, and consequently deploying the .eba  as explaind does not do anything.

Below is the exception when starting the osgi container.

[Framework Event Dispatcher] DEBUG org.apache.aries.blueprint - FrameworkEvent ERROR
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BlueprintExtender.start() of bundle org.apache.aries.blueprint.
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:805)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:754)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:352)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.resume(AbstractBundle.java:370)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.resumeBundle(Framework.java:1068)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.resumeBundles(StartLevelManager.java:557)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.incFWSL(StartLevelManager.java:464)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.doSetStartLevel(StartLevelManager.java:248)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.dispatchEvent(StartLevelManager.java:445)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:220)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:330)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/aries/util/tracker/AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:632)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.defineClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:183)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.defineClass(ClasspathManager.java:576)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:546)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:477)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass_LockClassLoader(ClasspathManager.java:465)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:445)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.findLocalClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:211)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:376)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:452)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:405)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:393)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:105)
    at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BlueprintExtender.start(BlueprintExtender.java:88)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$1.run(BundleContextImpl.java:782)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:773)
    ... 10 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.aries.util.tracker.AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:489)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:405)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:393)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:105)
    ... 30 more

I checked the code for class org.apache.aries.util.tracker.AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer...But that class is absolutely empty. In other words the .java file contains nothing, and as a result the compiler does not generate a .class file for it, hence the ClassNotFoundException...

By the way there are 2 more .java files in that package that are empty as well

I am sure this was just a bad commit by somebody.

Thanx
Ivanhoe

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Jeremy Hughes
Hi thanks for letting us know. I can see the file has been emptied out
along with some others, like you say in r941776 / ARIES-272.

I'll fix.

Thanks,
Jeremy

On 14 May 2010 08:54, Ivanhoe Abrahams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>     at
> org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:105)
>     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
>     ... 30 more
>
> I checked the code for class
> org.apache.aries.util.tracker.AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer...But that class
> is absolutely empty. In other words the .java file contains nothing, and as
> a result the compiler does not generate a .class file for it, hence the
> ClassNotFoundException...
>
> By the way there are 2 more .java files in that package that are empty as
> well
>
> I am sure this was just a bad commit by somebody.
>
> Thanx
> Ivanhoe

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Hi, it looks like r941776 should have deleted those .java files
instead of clearing them out to 0 bytes. However, this isn't causing
the NoClassDefFoundError. I feel you are getting that because the
level of the BlueprintExtender class you are using is old.

Either

* your checkout of the blueprint module isn't at HEAD (unlikely since
you said you had checked out the trunk)
* the blueprint bundle in you local maven repo are out of date and you
need to rebuild the blueprint module
* the blueprint bundle in your trunk/samples/blog/blog-assembly/target
is out of date compared with the one in your local maven repo and you
need to mvn clean install the blog-assembly module.
* none of the above :-) but I'm pretty certain the
trunk/samples/blog/blog-assembly/target/org.apache.aries.blueprint-0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
you have doesn't contain the latest BlueprintExtender class.

Cheers,
Jeremy

On 14 May 2010 09:54, Jeremy Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>     at
>> org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:105)
>>     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
>>     ... 30 more
>>
>> I checked the code for class
>> org.apache.aries.util.tracker.AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer...But that class
>> is absolutely empty. In other words the .java file contains nothing, and as
>> a result the compiler does not generate a .class file for it, hence the
>> ClassNotFoundException...
>>
>> By the way there are 2 more .java files in that package that are empty as
>> well
>>
>> I am sure this was just a bad commit by somebody.
>>
>> Thanx
>> Ivanhoe

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Thank you very much

Will try your suggestions.

Ivanhoe

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Jeremy Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>     at
>> org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:105)
>>     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
>>     ... 30 more
>>
>> I checked the code for class
>> org.apache.aries.util.tracker.AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer...But that class
>> is absolutely empty. In other words the .java file contains nothing, and as
>> a result the compiler does not generate a .class file for it, hence the
>> ClassNotFoundException...
>>
>> By the way there are 2 more .java files in that package that are empty as
>> well
>>
>> I am sure this was just a bad commit by somebody.
>>
>> Thanx
>> Ivanhoe

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Lin Sun
Hi Ivanhoe, I'd agree with Jeremy that these empty files should not
get you the CNFE you hit.  In ARIES-272, we switched to use the
RecursiveBundleTracker instead to better keep track of bundle events.

Anyway, let us know if you still hit this prob and how we can recreate
it (with which revision).

Thanks

Lin

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:40 AM, Ivanhoe Abrahams
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you very much
>
> Will try your suggestions.
>
> Ivanhoe
>
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Jeremy Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, it looks like r941776 should have deleted those .java files
>> instead of clearing them out to 0 bytes. However, this isn't causing
>> the NoClassDefFoundError. I feel you are getting that because the
>> level of the BlueprintExtender class you are using is old.
>>
>> Either
>>
>> * your checkout of the blueprint module isn't at HEAD (unlikely since
>> you said you had checked out the trunk)
>> * the blueprint bundle in you local maven repo are out of date and you
>> need to rebuild the blueprint module
>> * the blueprint bundle in your trunk/samples/blog/blog-assembly/target
>> is out of date compared with the one in your local maven repo and you
>> need to mvn clean install the blog-assembly module.
>> * none of the above :-) but I'm pretty certain the
>>
>> trunk/samples/blog/blog-assembly/target/org.apache.aries.blueprint-0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
>> you have doesn't contain the latest BlueprintExtender class.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jeremy
>>
>> On 14 May 2010 09:54, Jeremy Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi thanks for letting us know. I can see the file has been emptied out
>> > along with some others, like you say in r941776 / ARIES-272.
>> >
>> > I'll fix.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jeremy

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Ivanhoe Abrahams
Hi Lin/Jeremy.

Ok I understand that the empty files should not pose a problem.

However I am still not able to run the blog sample.
I tried your (Jeremy) suggestions.

I removed the org.apache.aries bundles from my local .m2 repository, and then built again (mvn -fn clean install).
I then tried the sample again but with the same results.

My envirionment

Ubuntu
jre1.6
I checked out Aries trunk (my eclipse svn-plugin reports revision 944137) using the eclipse m2 plugin

So I am not sure why I am getting different results than you guys. I will try at home as well. There I have an old windows setup.

Ivanhoe

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you very much
>
> Will try your suggestions.
>
> Ivanhoe
>
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Jeremy Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, it looks like r941776 should have deleted those .java files
>> instead of clearing them out to 0 bytes. However, this isn't causing
>> the NoClassDefFoundError. I feel you are getting that because the
>> level of the BlueprintExtender class you are using is old.
>>
>> Either
>>
>> * your checkout of the blueprint module isn't at HEAD (unlikely since
>> you said you had checked out the trunk)
>> * the blueprint bundle in you local maven repo are out of date and you
>> need to rebuild the blueprint module
>> * the blueprint bundle in your trunk/samples/blog/blog-assembly/target
>> is out of date compared with the one in your local maven repo and you
>> need to mvn clean install the blog-assembly module.
>> * none of the above :-) but I'm pretty certain the
>>
>> trunk/samples/blog/blog-assembly/target/org.apache.aries.blueprint-0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
>> you have doesn't contain the latest BlueprintExtender class.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jeremy
>>
>> On 14 May 2010 09:54, Jeremy Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi thanks for letting us know. I can see the file has been emptied out
>> > along with some others, like you say in r941776 / ARIES-272.
>> >
>> > I'll fix.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jeremy

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

zoe slattery
Hi Ivanhoe - I just cleared my Maven repo, checked out and rebuilt
Aries, ran the blog sample and it failed. Thanks for highlighting this -
it is not something you are doing wrong. We'll fix it.

Zoe

> [...]
>     it, hence the
>     >> >> ClassNotFoundException...
>     >> >>
>     >> >> By the way there are 2 more .java files in that package that
>     are empty
>     >> >> as
>     >> >> well
>     >> >>
>     >> >> I am sure this was just a bad commit by somebody.
>     >> >>
>     >> >> Thanx
>     >> >> Ivanhoe
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >
>     >
>     >

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Valentin Mahrwald
Hi Ivanhoe,

I fixed the problem that Zoe and I could see on her system, which is an incomplete JNDI bundle. So there should be hope again of getting the blog sample running from a fresh checkout ;)

Regards,

Valentin

On 14 May 2010, at 16:45, zoe slattery wrote:

> [...]
>>    it, hence the
>>    >> >> ClassNotFoundException...
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >> By the way there are 2 more .java files in that package that
>>    are empty
>>    >> >> as
>>    >> >> well
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >> I am sure this was just a bad commit by somebody.
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >> Thanx
>>    >> >> Ivanhoe
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >
>>    >
>>    >

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Holly Cummins

Those zero-size files are my fault - sorry! -  but I agree with Jeremy that they shouldn't be responsible for the ClassNotFoundException. I guess we better raise a tracker to clear out the empty files, just in the interests of code cleanliness. (Now done - ARIES-312.)

When I made my patch with svn diff, no amount of 'svn delete' would give a patch which when applied produced anything other than an empty file. Is this a natural limitation of the patch format, or did I miss a step creating the patch?

Cheers,
Holly

Jeremy Hughes <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

05/14/2010 11:30 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
> [...]

>>     at
>> org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:393)
>>     at
>> org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:105)
>>     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
>>     ... 30 more
>>
>> I checked the code for class
>> org.apache.aries.util.tracker.AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer...But that class
>> is absolutely empty. In other words the .java file contains nothing, and as
>> a result the compiler does not generate a .class file for it, hence the
>> ClassNotFoundException...
>>
>> By the way there are 2 more .java files in that package that are empty as
>> well
>>
>> I am sure this was just a bad commit by somebody.

Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Lin Sun
Hi Holly

No prob.  I have removed the empty files.

For example, if you want to delete a file, you do:

svn delete filename

Then you do svn diff to create your patch, and you should see the file deleted, like below:

linsun@dyn9-37-240-133:~/ariesN/trunk/samples/blog>svn delete pom.xml
D         pom.xml

linsun@dyn9-37-240-133:~/ariesN/trunk/samples/blog>svn diff
Index: pom.xml
--- pom.xml    (revision 944247)
+++ pom.xml    (working copy)
@@ -1,95 +0,0 @@
-<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<!--
-    Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
-    contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with

If this is what you did, then maybe this is a natural limitation of patch :-(

Lin

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Holly Cummins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

> [...]

>>     at
>> org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:105)
>>     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
>>     ... 30 more
>>
>> I checked the code for class
>> org.apache.aries.util.tracker.AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer...But that class
>> is absolutely empty. In other words the .java file contains nothing, and as
>> a result the compiler does not generate a .class file for it, hence the
>> ClassNotFoundException...
>>
>> By the way there are 2 more .java files in that package that are empty as
>> well
>>
>> I am sure this was just a bad commit by somebody.
>>
>> Thanx
>> Ivanhoe

Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Hi Lin,

That's exactly what I did, unfortunately. I guess I'll know for next time to add an explicit comment along with the patch mentioning that files have been deleted.

Thanks,
Holly
--

Phone: External +44 (0) 1962 815104 ; Internal 7-245104;

Lin Sun <[hidden email]>

05/14/2010 09:12 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[...]

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Holly Cummins <cumminsh@...> wrote:
Hi,

Those zero-size files are my fault - sorry! -  but I agree with Jeremy that they shouldn't be responsible for the ClassNotFoundException. I guess we better raise a tracker to clear out the empty files, just in the interests of code cleanliness. (Now done - ARIES-312.)

When I made my patch with svn diff, no amount of 'svn delete' would give a patch which when applied produced anything other than an empty file. Is this a natural limitation of the patch format, or did I miss a step creating the patch?

Cheers,
Holly

Jeremy Hughes <hughesj@...>
Sent by: jpjhughes@...

05/14/2010 11:30 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject

ivanhoeabrahams@...> wrote:
> [...]
>> org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:105)
>>     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
>>     ... 30 more
>>
>> I checked the code for class
>> org.apache.aries.util.tracker.AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer...But that class
>> is absolutely empty. In other words the .java file contains nothing, and as
>> a result the compiler does not generate a .class file for it, hence the
>> ClassNotFoundException...
>>
>> By the way there are 2 more .java files in that package that are empty as
>> well
>>
>> I am sure this was just a bad commit by somebody.
>>
>> Thanx
>> Ivanhoe

Unless stated otherwise above:

Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Joe Bohn

Yes, it's a natural process limitation (at least that has always been my
experience).   Every time I've committed a patch that contained deleted
files I've always had to do the svn delete myself.  I'd definitely
recommend adding a comment to the JIRA as it is easy to miss.

Joe

Joe

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Ivanhoe Abrahams
Hi

Thank you Valentin

Will try now again

Ivanhoe

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Valentin Mahrwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>    it, hence the
>>    >> >> ClassNotFoundException...
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >> By the way there are 2 more .java files in that package that
>>    are empty
>>    >> >> as
>>    >> >> well
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >> I am sure this was just a bad commit by somebody.
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >> Thanx
>>    >> >> Ivanhoe
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >>
>>    >> >
>>    >
>>    >

Re: AriesBundleTrackerCustomizer.java in aries util in empty

Success

It works (the blog sample) fine now
Thanks

Ivanhoe