Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

zoe slattery
Hi

I've been attempting to checkout and build Aries in Eclipse and have
added the steps I followed here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARIES/Building+Aries.

This works up to a point, but  Eclipse is still complaining about Java
and Maven problems. I thought it would be worth documenting the steps so
far anyway, I'll update when I have fixed the remaining issues - if
anyone can see what I may have missed please let me know....

Zoe

Re: Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

Jeremy Hughes
2009/10/16 zoe <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> I've been attempting to checkout and build Aries in Eclipse and have added
> the steps I followed here:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARIES/Building+Aries.
>
> This works up to a point, but  Eclipse is still complaining about Java and
> Maven problems. I thought it would be worth documenting the steps so far
> anyway, I'll update when I have fixed the remaining issues - if anyone can
> see what I may have missed please let me know....

What are the problems you're seeing? I've got it working in eclipse
3.4, m2eclipse 0.9.8

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> 2009/10/16 zoe <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've been attempting to checkout and build Aries in Eclipse and have added
>> the steps I followed here:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARIES/Building+Aries.
>>
>> This works up to a point, but  Eclipse is still complaining about Java and
>> Maven problems. I thought it would be worth documenting the steps so far
>> anyway, I'll update when I have fixed the remaining issues - if anyone can
>> see what I may have missed please let me know....
>>

> What are the problems you're seeing? I've got it working in eclipse
> 3.4, m2eclipse 0.9.8

After checking out I can build the project like this:
Run pom.xml in the top level project (right click on pom.xml, run as
'maven build...', on the following screen use -fn package in the goals
box, then click OK) and the project all builds. The only failure is the
Blueprint iTests, which fail for me on the command  line as well. So far
so good.

However, after checking out the the package view shows this:
http://imagebin.ca/view/0aB5f2.html - quite a few 'red crosses'

Looking more closely at the projects it looks as though the java
projects are screwed up:
 http://imagebin.ca/view/MvZ11Ard.html.

Why src.java.org.etc..., not org.etc ? Because of this none of the
projects can find their dependencies.

I went on a fixed some of these but then ran into other problems (had to
add Java in as a Library, a problem with being able to write to
../target/classes).

I'm hoping that there is one root problem that would fix all of
them...if so I haven't found it yet.

Zoe

Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> 2009/10/16 zoe <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've been attempting to checkout and build Aries in Eclipse and have added
>> the steps I followed here:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARIES/Building+Aries.
>>
>> This works up to a point, but  Eclipse is still complaining about Java and
>> Maven problems. I thought it would be worth documenting the steps so far
>> anyway, I'll update when I have fixed the remaining issues - if anyone can
>> see what I may have missed please let me know....
>>

> What are the problems you're seeing? I've got it working in eclipse
> 3.4, m2eclipse 0.9.8

PS - this is Eclipse 3.5.  I will try 3.4 tomorrow. m2eclipse is 0.9.8.
I suppose that probably is the most likely problem.
> Cheers,
> Jeremy

Re: Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

zoe slattery

> What are the problems you're seeing? I've got it working in eclipse
> 3.4, m2eclipse 0.9.8

Downloaded 3.4 and finally have a working environment. I still had to:

(1) Fix the source paths for most of the projects.
(2) Add a JRE system library to the build path for most projects

With plenty of 'cleaning, closing-opening, restarting' between each step
I am just down to warnings now.

I can't help feeling there must be a better way than fixing each project
on it's own.

Zoe
> Cheers,
> Jeremy

Re: Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

Guillaume Nodet
Have you tried with running "mvn eclipse:eclipse" and importing the
created project ?

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Have you tried with running "mvn eclipse:eclipse" and importing the
> created project ?

No I haven't - but I know that Graham Charters managed to do it that
way. I was hoping it would be easy to do in Eclipse, but maybe I'll
document both routes on the wiki.

Thanks, Zoe

Re: Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

Valentin Mahrwald
Hm, I probably did something wrong. I had a fair number of random
build path problems after generating and importing the eclipse
projects. Such as most of the inter-project dependencies did not work
and the blueprint-itest also had problems with the library org/apache/
felix/org.osgi.foundation/1.2.0, which overwrote standard JRE classes.

Is that expected?

Valentin Mahrwald wrote:
> Hm, I probably did something wrong. I had a fair number of random
> build path problems after generating and importing the eclipse
> projects. Such as most of the inter-project dependencies did not work
> and the blueprint-itest also had problems with the library
> org/apache/felix/org.osgi.foundation/1.2.0, which overwrote standard
> JRE classes.
>
> Is that expected?
Hi Valentin

It sounds very similar to the problems I saw and eventually managed to fix.

The interproject dependencies don't work because the source paths are
screwed up. If you look at the projects they are called:

src.java.org.something.or.other

They should be:

org.something.or.other

To fix this you need to delete the source path for each project and
replace it with the right source path. Right click of the project, take
build path, configure build path. Select the source tab and delete the
incorrect source path. Then click add source path, this screenshot shows
selecting the right source path: http://imagebin.ca/view/Tr_DKr.html

After you have done this for all the projects that are wrong (it's not
all of them) you will need to add the right JRE library for all of them
as well. Some of mine had no JRE library and some had picked up a JRE
1.4 library.

I hope this makes sense, it's hard to describe Eclipse screens :-S

2009/10/18 Valentin Mahrwald <[hidden email]>:
> Hm, I probably did something wrong. I had a fair number of random build path
> problems after generating and importing the eclipse projects. Such as most
> of the inter-project dependencies did not work and the blueprint-itest also
> had problems with the library org/apache/felix/org.osgi.foundation/1.2.0,
> which overwrote standard JRE classes.
>
> Is that expected?

How did you bring the projects into the eclipse workspace? I did it by
using the subclipse svn perspective, right clicked aries/trunk and did
check out maven projects ... (provided by the m2eclipse eclipse
plugin). This gave me the option to bring in all the subdirectories of
aries/trunk as eclipse projects and everything builds ok. I'm on
eclipse 3.4. How did you bring the projects into the workspace?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Re: Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

Lin Sun

I tried the following steps:

1. mvn clean install
2. mvn eclipse:eclipse
3. import all projects as existing projects
4  set a new build classpath variable M2_REPO to my local maven 2
repo, e.g. /Users/linsun/.m2/repository

I think I am down to 5 errors in my eclipse 3.5 which is essentially
one (not really important) error that complains about
aries-blueprint-core is missing required source folder -
/Users/linsun/aries/blueprint/blueprint-api/src/main/resources/org/osgi/service/blueprint,
because the only file in this folder is a xsd file.

If I comment out this line in my .classpath file of
aries-blueprint-core, all my 5 errors gone -

<!-- <classpathentry kind="src"
path="/Users/linsun/aries/blueprint/blueprint-api/src/main/resources/org/osgi/service/blueprint"
including="blueprint.xsd" excluding="**/*.java"/> -->

HTH

Lin

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 4:28 PM, zoe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Valentin Mahrwald wrote:
>>
>> Hm, I probably did something wrong. I had a fair number of random build
>> path problems after generating and importing the eclipse projects. Such as
>> most of the inter-project dependencies did not work and the blueprint-itest
>> also had problems with the library
>> org/apache/felix/org.osgi.foundation/1.2.0, which overwrote standard JRE
>> classes.
>>
>> Is that expected?
>
> Hi Valentin
>
> It sounds very similar to the problems I saw and eventually managed to fix.
>
> The interproject dependencies don't work because the source paths are
> screwed up. If you look at the projects they are called:
>
> src.java.org.something.or.other
>
> They should be:
>
> org.something.or.other
>
> To fix this you need to delete the source path for each project and replace
> it with the right source path. Right click of the project, take build path,
> configure build path. Select the source tab and delete the incorrect source
> path. Then click add source path, this screenshot shows selecting the right
> source path: http://imagebin.ca/view/Tr_DKr.html
>
> After you have done this for all the projects that are wrong (it's not all
> of them) you will need to add the right JRE library for all of them as well.
> Some of mine had no JRE library and some had picked up a JRE 1.4 library.
>
> I hope this makes sense, it's hard to describe Eclipse screens :-S
>>
>> On 17 Oct 2009, at 15:24, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried with running "mvn eclipse:eclipse" and importing the
>>> created project ?

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com

Re: Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

Valentin Mahrwald
Thanks!

I think that is what I was missing. I followed the same steps, got the
random errors but I didn't spot that the classpath entry it complains
about is only resources.

On 19 Oct 2009, at 03:56, Lin Sun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried the following steps:
>
> 1. mvn clean install
> 2. mvn eclipse:eclipse
> 3. import all projects as existing projects
> 4  set a new build classpath variable M2_REPO to my local maven 2
> repo, e.g. /Users/linsun/.m2/repository
>
> I think I am down to 5 errors in my eclipse 3.5 which is essentially
> one (not really important) error that complains about
> aries-blueprint-core is missing required source folder -
> /Users/linsun/aries/blueprint/blueprint-api/src/main/resources/org/
> osgi/service/blueprint,
> because the only file in this folder is a xsd file.
>
> If I comment out this line in my .classpath file of
> aries-blueprint-core, all my 5 errors gone -
>
> <!-- <classpathentry kind="src"
> path="/Users/linsun/aries/blueprint/blueprint-api/src/main/resources/
> org/osgi/service/blueprint"
> including="blueprint.xsd" excluding="**/*.java"/> -->
>
> HTH
>
> Lin
>
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 4:28 PM, zoe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Valentin Mahrwald wrote:
>>>
>>> Hm, I probably did something wrong. I had a fair number of random
>>> build
>>> path problems after generating and importing the eclipse projects.
>>> Such as
>>> most of the inter-project dependencies did not work and the
>>> blueprint-itest
>>> also had problems with the library
>>> org/apache/felix/org.osgi.foundation/1.2.0, which overwrote
>>> standard JRE
>>> classes.
>>>
>>> Is that expected?
>>
>> Hi Valentin
>>
>> It sounds very similar to the problems I saw and eventually managed
>> to fix.
>>
>> The interproject dependencies don't work because the source paths are
>> screwed up. If you look at the projects they are called:
>>
>> src.java.org.something.or.other
>>
>> They should be:
>>
>> org.something.or.other
>>
>> To fix this you need to delete the source path for each project and
>> replace
>> it with the right source path. Right click of the project, take
>> build path,
>> configure build path. Select the source tab and delete the
>> incorrect source
>> path. Then click add source path, this screenshot shows selecting
>> the right
>> source path: http://imagebin.ca/view/Tr_DKr.html
>>
>> After you have done this for all the projects that are wrong (it's
>> not all
>> of them) you will need to add the right JRE library for all of them
>> as well.
>> Some of mine had no JRE library and some had picked up a JRE 1.4
>> library.
>>
>> I hope this makes sense, it's hard to describe Eclipse screens :-S

Re: Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

Joe Bohn
I had the same results up to the point of editing the .classpath entry.

However, even after removing that entry in .classpath I still get one
final build error under org.apache.aries.blueprint.itests  against
src/test/java/org/apache/aries/blueprint/itests/TestReferences.java

"The type Class is not generic; it cannot be parameterized with
arguments <? extends Runner>"

It seemed like a java version issue so I went looking to ensure that I
was using java 1.6 (which I was).  I'm still poking around but wondering
if this is just me or if others are seeing similar results (or if
anybody has any suggestions).

Joe

Joe

Re: Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

Valentin Mahrwald
That one seems to be down to the org/apache/felix/org.osgi.foundation/1.2.0
jar that maven sticks on the classpath. It contains loads of Java 1.3
nonsense that causes the compiler to think you want to use that rather than
your JRE classes. If you remove it from the buildpath the errors should go
away.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Joe Bohn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had the same results up to the point of editing the .classpath entry.
>
> However, even after removing that entry in .classpath I still get one final
> build error under org.apache.aries.blueprint.itests  against
> src/test/java/org/apache/aries/blueprint/itests/TestReferences.java
>
> "The type Class is not generic; it cannot be parameterized with arguments
> <? extends Runner>"
>
> It seemed like a java version issue so I went looking to ensure that I was
> using java 1.6 (which I was).  I'm still poking around but wondering if this
> is just me or if others are seeing similar results (or if anybody has any
> suggestions).
>
> Joe
>

> Valentin Mahrwald wrote:
>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> I think that is what I was missing. I followed the same steps, got the
>> random errors but I didn't spot that the classpath entry it complains about
>> is only resources.
>>

>> On 19 Oct 2009, at 03:56, Lin Sun wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried the following steps:
>>>
>>> 1. mvn clean install
>>> 2. mvn eclipse:eclipse
>>> 3. import all projects as existing projects
>>> 4  set a new build classpath variable M2_REPO to my local maven 2
>>> repo, e.g. /Users/linsun/.m2/repository
>>>
>>> I think I am down to 5 errors in my eclipse 3.5 which is essentially
>>> one (not really important) error that complains about
>>> aries-blueprint-core is missing required source folder -
>>> /Users/linsun/aries/blueprint/blueprint-api/src/main/resources/org/osgi/service/blueprint,
>>>
>>> because the only file in this folder is a xsd file.
>>>
>>> If I comment out this line in my .classpath file of
>>> aries-blueprint-core, all my 5 errors gone -
>>>
>>> <!-- <classpathentry kind="src"
>>> path="/Users/linsun/aries/blueprint/blueprint-api/src/main/resources/org/osgi/service/blueprint"
>>>
>>> including="blueprint.xsd" excluding="**/*.java"/> -->
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Lin

> --
> Joe

Re: Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

Joe Bohn
Thanks Valentin.  That did indeed resolve the build error.

Joe

Joe

Re: Checking out an building Aries in Eclipse

zoe slattery
Hi all

I've collected up the information on the mailing list and updated the
wiki here: