[DISCUSS] Using Nexus for releases

Guillaume Nodet
I've been using nexus since a few months in various projects at Apache
for doing releases with maven.
This helps a lot, so I think we should discuss its use for Aries.
The nexus repository is available at
  http://repository.apache.org/

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Using Nexus for releases

DWoods
Agree.  It's made life easier for Geronimo as you don't need special
staging vs. release profiles in your settings.xml.  Basically, "mvn
deploy" of SNAPSHOT versions go to the Nexus snapshot repo and deploy of
a release (like 1.0.0) automatically goes to a staging site, which you
can then promote so others can access for testing/voting and then deploy
to the release mirrors or cancel after the vote completes.

-Donald

Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> I've been using nexus since a few months in various projects at Apache
> for doing releases with maven.
> This helps a lot, so I think we should discuss its use for Aries.
> The nexus repository is available at
>   http://repository.apache.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Using Nexus for releases

Jeremy Hughes
Looks nice. Anything to make the release manager's job easier :-)
Presumably a user id is required to upload a snapshot - and hopefully
that user only gets write access to a subtree?

Cheers,
Jeremy

2009/10/15 Donald Woods <[hidden email]>:

> Agree.  It's made life easier for Geronimo as you don't need special staging
> vs. release profiles in your settings.xml.  Basically, "mvn deploy" of
> SNAPSHOT versions go to the Nexus snapshot repo and deploy of a release
> (like 1.0.0) automatically goes to a staging site, which you can then
> promote so others can access for testing/voting and then deploy to the
> release mirrors or cancel after the vote completes.
>

> -Donald
>

> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>> I've been using nexus since a few months in various projects at Apache
>> for doing releases with maven.
>> This helps a lot, so I think we should discuss its use for Aries.
>> The nexus repository is available at
>>  http://repository.apache.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Using Nexus for releases

Guillaume Nodet
Yes, once the permissions are correctly set up by infra, nexus
recognizes any http upload depending on your ip.
If you are uploading a release, only *you* will be able to close the
release (i.e. say the upload is over), which makes it publicly
available in a separate and temporary repository for others to review
and vote.  Then, you go again to nexus and just promote it, and it
will auto-magically appear in maven central repo after the syncing :-)

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Using Nexus for releases

Alan D. Cabrera
+1

Regards,
Alan

On Oct 15, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> I've been using nexus since a few months in various projects at Apache
> for doing releases with maven.
> This helps a lot, so I think we should discuss its use for Aries.
> The nexus repository is available at
>  http://repository.apache.org/
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Using Nexus for releases

Stuart McCulloch
2009/10/15 Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]>

> I've been using nexus since a few months in various projects at Apache
> for doing releases with maven.
> This helps a lot, so I think we should discuss its use for Aries.
> The nexus repository is available at
>  http://repository.apache.org/

+1 it's worked well for us at Apache Felix (disclaimer: I work at Sonatype,
the company behind Nexus)

Cheers, Stuart

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 18:31, Stuart McCulloch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/10/15 Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]>
>
>> I've been using nexus since a few months in various projects at Apache
>> for doing releases with maven.
>> This helps a lot, so I think we should discuss its use for Aries.
>> The nexus repository is available at
>>  http://repository.apache.org/
>>

> +1 it's worked well for us at Apache Felix (disclaimer: I work at Sonatype,
> the company behind Nexus)

At least, we have someone to bother if there is any problem ;-)

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Using Nexus for releases

David Jencks
+1, can't imagine not using it :-)

david jencks

On Oct 15, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> I've been using nexus since a few months in various projects at Apache
> for doing releases with maven.
> This helps a lot, so I think we should discuss its use for Aries.
> The nexus repository is available at
>  http://repository.apache.org/
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Using Nexus for releases

kevan

On Oct 15, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> I've been using nexus since a few months in various projects at Apache
> for doing releases with maven.
> This helps a lot, so I think we should discuss its use for Aries.
> The nexus repository is available at
>  http://repository.apache.org/

Definitely.

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] Using Nexus for releases

Joe Bohn
Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> I've been using nexus since a few months in various projects at Apache
> for doing releases with maven.
> This helps a lot, so I think we should discuss its use for Aries.
> The nexus repository is available at
>   http://repository.apache.org/

I haven't personally used it to release anything yet but from all I've
heard it is the right choice.  It certainly sounds better than pushing
manual releases as I have in the past.

--
Joe