[DISCUSS] Who has write access to Aries blog (was: Re: Aries Blog)

[DISCUSS] Who has write access to Aries blog (was: Re: Aries Blog)

Jeremy Hughes
2009/11/2 Kevan Miller <[hidden email]>:
> I've seen several requests for blog access from non-Aries committers. How
> would the community like to handle these? Limit to committers, only? Require
> an ICLA to be on file?

I think 'ICLA on file' for blog posts as long as anyone with an ID can
post a comment. In addition, it would be good to allow anyone
(non-ASFers included) to be able to comment on blog posts, but I
wouldn't want to allow anonymous posts. That said, to enable
non-ASFers to comment they would need an ID and it seems hard to get
an ID created. Can Roller be configured to allow anyone to create
their own ID?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Re: [DISCUSS] Who has write access to Aries blog (was: Re: Aries Blog)

kevan

On Nov 2, 2009, at 9:51 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> 2009/11/2 Kevan Miller <[hidden email]>:
>> I've seen several requests for blog access from non-Aries
>> committers. How
>> would the community like to handle these? Limit to committers,
>> only? Require
>> an ICLA to be on file?
>>
> I think 'ICLA on file' for blog posts as long as anyone with an ID can
> post a comment. In addition, it would be good to allow anyone
> (non-ASFers included) to be able to comment on blog posts, but I
> wouldn't want to allow anonymous posts. That said, to enable
> non-ASFers to comment they would need an ID and it seems hard to get
> an ID created. Can Roller be configured to allow anyone to create
> their own ID?

The current process for creating an ID is to raise a JIRA on ASF Infra
-- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA

Projects then grant access to their project blog. Perhaps Infra is
already limiting access to ASF Committers.

I haven't tried, but it looks like anyone can create a comment -- you
provide an email address w/ your comment.

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] Who has write access to Aries blog (was: Re: Aries Blog)

David Bosschaert
As long as it's not completely anonymous, i.e. email address provided this
sounds reasonable to me. However, I think it's important to make commenting
easy. Going through INFRA just to post a comment is not good IMHO.

I guess the question then remains, how do you check that the email address
is valid. You could make sure the comments are moderated and use the
moderator's best judgment or you could put in place some email confirmation
loop mechanism.
I guess it would be good to moderate comments anyway, just to make sure to
keep the spammers out...

my 2c,

David

2009/11/2 Kevan Miller <[hidden email]>

> On Nov 2, 2009, at 9:51 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>
>  2009/11/2 Kevan Miller <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> I've seen several requests for blog access from non-Aries committers. How
>>> would the community like to handle these? Limit to committers, only?
>>> Require
>>> an ICLA to be on file?
>>>
>>>  I think 'ICLA on file' for blog posts as long as anyone with an ID can
>> post a comment. In addition, it would be good to allow anyone
>> (non-ASFers included) to be able to comment on blog posts, but I
>> wouldn't want to allow anonymous posts. That said, to enable
>> non-ASFers to comment they would need an ID and it seems hard to get
>> an ID created. Can Roller be configured to allow anyone to create
>> their own ID?
>>

> The current process for creating an ID is to raise a JIRA on ASF Infra --
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA
>
> Projects then grant access to their project blog. Perhaps Infra is already
> limiting access to ASF Committers.
>
> I haven't tried, but it looks like anyone can create a comment -- you
> provide an email address w/ your comment.
>
> --kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] Who has write access to Aries blog (was: Re: Aries Blog)

Bertrand Delacretaz
On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Kevan Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...I haven't tried, but it looks like anyone can create a comment -- you
> provide an email address w/ your comment....

yes, the need for an ASF ID only exists for posting blog entries,
anyone can post a comment and those are moderated by the blog admins.

-Bertrand