[HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

[HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

Christian Schneider
We are currently maintaining 2 different util bundles.
One seems to be working on OSGi 4.2 while the other one adds some 4.3.1
features.

As 4.2 is quite ancient now I propose we merge the two projects and only
provide a util bundle that works for >= 4.3.
I will provide the change in a PR for review.
Please speak up if there is a reason to keep the separation.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

David Bosschaert
+1 I think this distinction is quite confusing. There might have been a
reason for it at the time, but right now I don't really see the point any
more.

Cheers,

David

On 30 May 2017 at 10:35, Christian Schneider <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We are currently maintaining 2 different util bundles.
> One seems to be working on OSGi 4.2 while the other one adds some 4.3.1
> features.
>
> As 4.2 is quite ancient now I propose we merge the two projects and only
> provide a util bundle that works for >= 4.3.
> I will provide the change in a PR for review.
> Please speak up if there is a reason to keep the separation.
>
> Christian
>
> --
> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
> Open Source Architect
> http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

Christian Schneider
I created a branch for the change here:
https://github.com/cschneider/aries/tree/merge-util

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

Guillaume Nodet-2
One thing we may want to investigate before a new release is to remove the
support for composite bundles (and all dependent code), which afaik, aren't
supported anymore in equinox since a long time.

https://github.com/apache/aries/blob/trunk/util/util/src/main/java/org/apache/aries/util/tracker/RecursiveBundleTracker.java#L88-L97

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

Guillaume Nodet-2
Actually, we may want to completely remove the RecursiveBundleTracker ...

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

Thomas Watson
+1 to merging the util bundle.

Tom

Christian Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote on 05/30/2017 04:35:22
AM:

> From: Christian Schneider <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: 05/30/2017 04:35 AM
> Subject: [HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42
> Sent by: Christian Schneider <[hidden email]>
>
> We are currently maintaining 2 different util bundles.
> One seems to be working on OSGi 4.2 while the other one adds some 4.3.1
> features.
>
> As 4.2 is quite ancient now I propose we merge the two projects and only

> provide a util bundle that works for >= 4.3.
> I will provide the change in a PR for review.
> Please speak up if there is a reason to keep the separation.
>
> Christian
>
> --
> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de
>
> Open Source Architect
> http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

Thomas Watson
Another option is to update RecursiveBundleTracker to use the system
bundle context which will give it the same functionality as the composite
bundle support for the recursive bundle tracker when using Aries
Subsystems.  This way code that currently uses RecursiveBundleTracker can
remain unchanged and it will work on subsystems like it did for composite
bundles.

I know we have done this in order to get code to work on the Aries
subsystems implementation.  I can provide a fix for that to
RecursiveBundleTracker if we decide to do that instead.

Tom

<[hidden email]>:

> > I created a branch for the change here:
> > https://github.com/cschneider/aries/tree/merge-util
> >
> > Christian
> >

> > On 30.05.2017 11:35, Christian Schneider wrote:
> >
> >> We are currently maintaining 2 different util bundles.
> >> One seems to be working on OSGi 4.2 while the other one adds some
4.3.1
> >> features.
> >>
> >> As 4.2 is quite ancient now I propose we merge the two projects and
only

> >> provide a util bundle that works for >= 4.3.
> >> I will provide the change in a PR for review.
> >> Please speak up if there is a reason to keep the separation.
> >>
> >> Christian
> >>

> > --
> > Christian Schneider
> > http://www.liquid-reality.de
> >
> > Open Source Architect
> > http://www.talend.com
> >

> --
> ------------------------
> Guillaume Nodet

Re: [HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
+1 (sorry for the delay).

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

Grzegorz Grzybek
+1 (non-binding)

regards
Grzegorz Grzybek

> +1 (sorry for the delay).
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 05/30/2017 11:35 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>
>> We are currently maintaining 2 different util bundles.
>> One seems to be working on OSGi 4.2 while the other one adds some 4.3.1
>> features.
>>
>> As 4.2 is quite ancient now I propose we merge the two projects and only
>> provide a util bundle that works for >= 4.3.
>> I will provide the change in a PR for review.
>> Please speak up if there is a reason to keep the separation.
>>
>> Christian
>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Merge aries util and util-r42

Dominik Przybysz
Hi,
I have added some comments to PR.

--