JMX spec draft

Alan Keane
Hi,
I was wondering if there has been any work done already by members or if
there are any initial source contributions to come in for JMX?
I can see that there are still a couple of open issues (osgi bug 1474) but
these aside it looks solid enough to be making a start.
Would it be ok to open story/task(s) and get this going?

Cheers,
Alan

Re: JMX spec draft

Alan D. Cabrera
IIUC this spec is still in the oven.  IIRC there's a meeting about it
today.   How do we get this spec out so that others can participate?

I would be very much against work being done if the community could
not freely participate.

Regards,
Alan

On Oct 20, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Alan Keane wrote:

> Hi,
> I was wondering if there has been any work done already by members
> or if
> there are any initial source contributions to come in for JMX?
> I can see that there are still a couple of open issues (osgi bug
> 1474) but
> these aside it looks solid enough to be making a start.
> Would it be ok to open story/task(s) and get this going?
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Re: JMX spec draft

David Bosschaert
Hi Alan,

The OSGi EEG is trying to get an early access draft of the OSGi Enterprise
specs publicly released by early December. JMX should be in that set.

WRT to opensource implementations of specs that aren't fully public yet.
This is happening all over the place I think. Look at Equinox and Felix.
They are implementing and have always been implementing OSGi specs before
they were fully public.

Best regards,

David

2009/10/20 Alan D. Cabrera <[hidden email]>

> IIUC this spec is still in the oven.  IIRC there's a meeting about it
> today.   How do we get this spec out so that others can participate?
>
> I would be very much against work being done if the community could not
> freely participate.
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>

> On Oct 20, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Alan Keane wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>> I was wondering if there has been any work done already by members or if
>> there are any initial source contributions to come in for JMX?
>> I can see that there are still a couple of open issues (osgi bug 1474) but
>> these aside it looks solid enough to be making a start.
>> Would it be ok to open story/task(s) and get this going?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alan

Re: JMX spec draft

Alan D. Cabrera
Equinox is not in the ASF.

As for Felix, I would have to say that this is just plain wrong.  IMO
what it amounts to is the ASF being an infrastructure provider to the
OSGi Alliance, comme SourceForge, since others in the community cannot
participate.

Regards,
Alan

On Oct 20, 2009, at 8:23 AM, David Bosschaert wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> The OSGi EEG is trying to get an early access draft of the OSGi
> Enterprise
> specs publicly released by early December. JMX should be in that set.
>
> WRT to opensource implementations of specs that aren't fully public
> yet.
> This is happening all over the place I think. Look at Equinox and
> Felix.
> They are implementing and have always been implementing OSGi specs
> before
> they were fully public.
>
> Best regards,
>
> David
>
> 2009/10/20 Alan D. Cabrera <[hidden email]>
>
>> IIUC this spec is still in the oven.  IIRC there's a meeting about it
>> today.   How do we get this spec out so that others can participate?
>>
>> I would be very much against work being done if the community could
>> not
>> freely participate.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>

>> On Oct 20, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Alan Keane wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>> I was wondering if there has been any work done already by members
>>> or if
>>> there are any initial source contributions to come in for JMX?
>>> I can see that there are still a couple of open issues (osgi bug
>>> 1474) but
>>> these aside it looks solid enough to be making a start.
>>> Would it be ok to open story/task(s) and get this going?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alan

Re: JMX spec draft

adam wojtuniak
I'm interesting in starting implementation of JMX draft as well.
Maybe we should check who is interested and if somebody doesn't have access
the JMX draft how to provide that information.

Regards,
Adam

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Equinox is not in the ASF.
>
> As for Felix, I would have to say that this is just plain wrong.  IMO what
> it amounts to is the ASF being an infrastructure provider to the OSGi
> Alliance, comme SourceForge, since others in the community cannot
> participate.
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>

> On Oct 20, 2009, at 8:23 AM, David Bosschaert wrote:
>
>  Hi Alan,
>>
>> The OSGi EEG is trying to get an early access draft of the OSGi Enterprise
>> specs publicly released by early December. JMX should be in that set.
>>
>> WRT to opensource implementations of specs that aren't fully public yet.
>> This is happening all over the place I think. Look at Equinox and Felix.
>> They are implementing and have always been implementing OSGi specs before
>> they were fully public.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> David
>>
>> 2009/10/20 Alan D. Cabrera <[hidden email]>
>>
>>  IIUC this spec is still in the oven.  IIRC there's a meeting about it
>>> today.   How do we get this spec out so that others can participate?
>>>
>>> I would be very much against work being done if the community could not
>>> freely participate.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Alan
>>>

>>> On Oct 20, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Alan Keane wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

Re: JMX spec draft

Alan D. Cabrera
Seems like a reasonable way to start.

David, do you know if it's ok for developers to discuss the spec on
this list?

Regards,
Alan

On Oct 20, 2009, at 9:27 AM, adam wojtuniak wrote:

> I'm interesting in starting implementation of JMX draft as well.
> Maybe we should check who is interested and if somebody doesn't have
> access
> the JMX draft how to provide that information.
>
> Regards,
> Adam
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Alan D. Cabrera
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Equinox is not in the ASF.
>>
>> As for Felix, I would have to say that this is just plain wrong.
>> IMO what
>> it amounts to is the ASF being an infrastructure provider to the OSGi
>> Alliance, comme SourceForge, since others in the community cannot
>> participate.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>

>> On Oct 20, 2009, at 8:23 AM, David Bosschaert wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alan,
>>>
>>> The OSGi EEG is trying to get an early access draft of the OSGi
>>> Enterprise
>>> specs publicly released by early December. JMX should be in that
>>> set.
>>>
>>> WRT to opensource implementations of specs that aren't fully
>>> public yet.
>>> This is happening all over the place I think. Look at Equinox and
>>> Felix.
>>> They are implementing and have always been implementing OSGi specs
>>> before
>>> they were fully public.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>> 2009/10/20 Alan D. Cabrera <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> IIUC this spec is still in the oven.  IIRC there's a meeting about
>>> it

Re: JMX spec draft

Jeremy Hughes
The RFC for JMX in the last public draft [1] seems a good place to start.

[1] http://www.osgi.org/download/osgi-4.2-early-draft3.pdf

Cheers,
Jeremy

2009/10/20 Alan D. Cabrera <[hidden email]>:

> Seems like a reasonable way to start.
>
> David, do you know if it's ok for developers to discuss the spec on this
> list?
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> On Oct 20, 2009, at 9:27 AM, adam wojtuniak wrote:
>
>> I'm interesting in starting implementation of JMX draft as well.
>> Maybe we should check who is interested and if somebody doesn't have
>> access
>> the JMX draft how to provide that information.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adam
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Alan D. Cabrera
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Equinox is not in the ASF.
>>>
>>> As for Felix, I would have to say that this is just plain wrong.  IMO
>>> what
>>> it amounts to is the ASF being an infrastructure provider to the OSGi
>>> Alliance, comme SourceForge, since others in the community cannot
>>> participate.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Alan
>>>

>>> On Oct 20, 2009, at 8:23 AM, David Bosschaert wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Alan,

Re: JMX spec draft

David Bosschaert
Yeah - that's definitely the best place to start.
I don't know of any existing guidelines around discussions of unpublished
documents on public forums.

David