Karaf-boot

Brad Johnson
When is karaf-boot due out? Roughly.  2016? August? September?  2017?

I'm pretty stoked about it because I think it is really going to open a lot of vistas.  I haven't had a lot of time to fiddle with my Raspberry Pi but when i think about a self-deploying, thin karaf with all dependencies and all the OSGi capabilities and libraries that's pretty astounding.

The testing seems like it would be straight forward for things like black box web testing.  In that sample code I posted the other day you could see a couple of simple fluent clients I use for create SOAP and REST clients for testing.

It would appear that without using Pax Exam or CamelBlueprintTestSupport I'll be able to boot a karaf container and run tests against it if I expose any web services.  I'll commonly create delegate/adapters that can switch based on configuration between using an internal set of Test stubs and actual implementations and sometimes even remote implementations.  The test stubs I use always provide models that reflect what the bundle would be receiving from any endpoint calls it makes so it permits me to exercise the validators, transformers, business logic and web services without having any integration in place.

Being able to use plain ol' Junit (Poju?) and send and receive web service calls that exercise self-container karaf/OSGi bundle sets is pretty damned exciting.

Brad

Re: Karaf-boot

Guillaume Nodet-2
You don't really need karaf-boot to generate static karaf instances.
Just use the maven karaf plugin and configure it properly and you're done.

Karaf-Boot is more about helpers, recipes, examples, but if you already have your application that can be deployed, I don't think you need it.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Karaf-boot

Brad Johnson
It can be done but I do want the ease of things like helpers/recipes. It appears that this may be a new way of doing enterprise development by specifying and deploying OSGi applications in an appliance-like manner.  Perhaps it won't really be what I'm after when it rolls out.  Hard to say until I can start cutting code.

I'm not currently using the karaf assembly because the great majority of my work is aimed at installation into running Fuse instances right now. Perhaps I could still benefit from it I simply haven't fealt anything wanting in that particular environment. Obviously there's still a place for that in the world for larger installations of ServiceMix/Fuse as well.  But I can think of a lot of cases where I have satellite applications that I want to talk to and being able to specify a recipe and get 90% of a little application with karaf in place and ready for deployment will be fantastic.  It will obviously depend on the mechanics and complexity of it.

Brad

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Guillaume Nodet <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Morgan Hautman
Hi Brad,

JB is donating Karaf-boot to Apache Karaf, I know the repo is made so
it's a matter of days/weeks when it will be under Apache Karaf :)

But a schedule has yet to be defined about the first release and what we
want in it ect..

Regards,
Morgan

On 2016-04-22 17:17, Brad Johnson wrote:

> When is karaf-boot due out? Roughly.  2016? August? September?  2017?
>
> I'm pretty stoked about it because I think it is really going to open
> a lot of vistas.  I haven't had a lot of time to fiddle with my
> Raspberry Pi but when i think about a self-deploying, thin karaf with
> all dependencies and all the OSGi capabilities and libraries that's
> pretty astounding.
>
> The testing seems like it would be straight forward for things like
> black box web testing.  In that sample code I posted the other day you
> could see a couple of simple fluent clients I use for create SOAP and
> REST clients for testing.
>
> It would appear that without using Pax Exam or
> CamelBlueprintTestSupport I'll be able to boot a karaf container and
> run tests against it if I expose any web services.  I'll commonly
> create delegate/adapters that can switch based on configuration
> between using an internal set of Test stubs and actual implementations
> and sometimes even remote implementations.  The test stubs I use
> always provide models that reflect what the bundle would be receiving
> from any endpoint calls it makes so it permits me to exercise the
> validators, transformers, business logic and web services without
> having any integration in place.
>
> Being able to use plain ol' Junit (Poju?) and send and receive web
> service calls that exercise self-container karaf/OSGi bundle sets is
> pretty damned exciting.
>
> Brad

Re: Karaf-boot

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
As I said couple of days ago, the repo has been created. I have to push latest changes before donation. I will do the donation next week.

Regards
JB

Sent from my Samsung device

On 2016-04-22 17:17, Brad Johnson wrote:

> When is karaf-boot due out? Roughly.  2016? August? September?  2017?
>
> I'm pretty stoked about it because I think it is really going to open
> a lot of vistas.  I haven't had a lot of time to fiddle with my
> Raspberry Pi but when i think about a self-deploying, thin karaf with
> all dependencies and all the OSGi capabilities and libraries that's
> pretty astounding.
>
> The testing seems like it would be straight forward for things like
> black box web testing.  In that sample code I posted the other day you
> could see a couple of simple fluent clients I use for create SOAP and
> REST clients for testing.
>
> It would appear that without using Pax Exam or
> CamelBlueprintTestSupport I'll be able to boot a karaf container and
> run tests against it if I expose any web services.  I'll commonly
> create delegate/adapters that can switch based on configuration
> between using an internal set of Test stubs and actual implementations
> and sometimes even remote implementations.  The test stubs I use
> always provide models that reflect what the bundle would be receiving
> from any endpoint calls it makes so it permits me to exercise the
> validators, transformers, business logic and web services without
> having any integration in place.
>
> Being able to use plain ol' Junit (Poju?) and send and receive web
> service calls that exercise self-container karaf/OSGi bundle sets is
> pretty damned exciting.
>
> Brad

Re: Karaf-boot

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
By the way, Karaf is running without problem ON Raspberry Pi (Jamie wrote a blog about this afair).

I have a fair idea about the first content of karaf-boot and I would like to do a first release after my talk about karaf-boot during ApacheCon.

Regards
JB

Sent from my Samsung device

On 2016-04-22 17:17, Brad Johnson wrote:

> When is karaf-boot due out? Roughly.  2016? August? September?  2017?
>
> I'm pretty stoked about it because I think it is really going to open
> a lot of vistas.  I haven't had a lot of time to fiddle with my
> Raspberry Pi but when i think about a self-deploying, thin karaf with
> all dependencies and all the OSGi capabilities and libraries that's
> pretty astounding.
>
> The testing seems like it would be straight forward for things like
> black box web testing.  In that sample code I posted the other day you
> could see a couple of simple fluent clients I use for create SOAP and
> REST clients for testing.
>
> It would appear that without using Pax Exam or
> CamelBlueprintTestSupport I'll be able to boot a karaf container and
> run tests against it if I expose any web services.  I'll commonly
> create delegate/adapters that can switch based on configuration
> between using an internal set of Test stubs and actual implementations
> and sometimes even remote implementations.  The test stubs I use
> always provide models that reflect what the bundle would be receiving
> from any endpoint calls it makes so it permits me to exercise the
> validators, transformers, business logic and web services without
> having any integration in place.
>
> Being able to use plain ol' Junit (Poju?) and send and receive web
> service calls that exercise self-container karaf/OSGi bundle sets is
> pretty damned exciting.
>
> Brad

Re: Karaf-boot

Brad Johnson
JB,

I've been following the adventures of karaf on RPi for a bit.  It certainly isn't difficult but the idea of being able to put things together and deploy and boot all at once is enticing.  I'm more interested from the perspective of enterprise development for my day-to-day.

I'm going to be very curious about KB when it comes out and will definitely be downloading it when you push it and feel it is ready for consumption.