Performance Improvement

Wouter Bancken
Dear,

We recently switched to Aries subsystems for the deployment of our applications and we noticed a slow startup speed. We profiled the startup and noticed that a lot of time was spent directly reading the bundles from the zip files in the temp folder created by Aries (inputStreamExtract******.zip).

We tried to change the Aries implementation to unpack the zip artifact into the temporary folder so it is unpacked only once. Subsequent reads for the bundles (jars) can be read directly from the folder. This delivered a 44% increase in the total startup time of our application (277 bundles). The install phase in this startup improved by 74%.

As you can see we switched out the aries-utils FileSystem implementation for our own implementation with the same API. Our filesystem implementation simply unpacks the zip into a folder instead of copying it.

Are there any objections to this change? Can this be included in Aries in some way?

Best regards,
Wouter Bancken

Re: Performance Improvement

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
Hi Wouter,

thanks for sharing. It looks really interesting !

We gonna take a look and give more detailed inputs.

Thanks,
Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Performance Improvement

Wouter Bancken
Great to hear!

Best regards,
Wouter Bancken

ACA is moving to new headquarters from 28/03/2016!! : More information

Wouter Bancken
email [hidden email]
Phone <a href="tel:003211265010" style="color:#666;font-size:12px;text-decoration:none" target="_blank">+32 (0) 11 26 50 10
GSM <a href="tel:0032494256384" style="color:#666;font-size:12px;text-decoration:none" target="_blank">+32 (0) 494 25 63 84
Logo ACA IT-Solutions

ACA IT-Solutions NV
HQ: Herkenrodesingel 8B 2.01 | 3500 Hasselt
T <a href="tel:003211265010" style="color:#666;font-size:12px;text-decoration:none" target="_blank">+32(0)11 26 50 10 | F +32(0)11 26 50 11
www.aca-it.be | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin