What happened to Aries JaxRS Whiteboard jsonb component before 1.0.0 release?

What happened to Aries JaxRS Whiteboard jsonb component before 1.0.0 release?

Toni Menzel-2
Hi,

I was using snapshots of the JaxRS Whiteboard implementation together with the johnzon based jax-rs.jsonb quite happily before it got nuked in [1].

There is probably a story behind this and it happened to a pre-release (<1.0) codebase, so there is nothing to complain. But: Is there a replacement for this? Why was it removed?

A potential alternative is org.apache.aries.jax.rs.jaxb.json which looks.. like i can use that instead.
Now, this depends on cxf being present, whereas other parts of cxf are embedded into the whiteboard bundle. So i am a little confused if you want people to use it without a visible cxf dependency?
Interestingly you use a (probably worthwhile) fragement bundle in integration tests with all that cxf stuff hidden. But thats not part of the released 1.0.0 bundle-set.

Can someone shed some light on this?
Or, maybe i am somewhat blind?

Thanks,
Toni

Re: What happened to Aries JaxRS Whiteboard jsonb component before 1.0.0 release?

Raymond Auge
The goal was simply to reduce the number of moving parts for the first release to satisfy the RI requirements.

Now that it's out we can proceed with additional features which weren't required by the spec, such as a good JSONP & JSONB support.

The steps I'd personally like to see will require some coordination across a few related projects (none of which is hard, mostly cleaning up some loose ends):
- the spec jars from Apache Geronimo for JSONP (javax.json 1.1) and JSONB (javax.json.bind 1.0) get released with Service Loader Mediator and Portable Java Contracts metadata in place
- some fixes to Apache Johnzon to resolve a conflict in the OSGi metadata which makes their JSONP & JSONB jaxrs providers not deployable together
- and lastly some thin, configurable, prototype scope wrappers around those providers for really flexible coordination and configuration

PRs are always welcome :)

- Ray

--
Raymond Augé (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect Liferay, Inc. (@Liferay)
Board Member & EEG Co-Chair, OSGi Alliance (@OSGiAlliance)

Re: What happened to Aries JaxRS Whiteboard jsonb component before 1.0.0 release?

Toni Menzel-2
Thanks, Ray!
Yeah, coordination is probably the hardest part. It took me a while to stick together a (reliably) working but still minimal set to be usable in Karaf in this case.
The viral nature of CXF and Karaf Features in general make adopting a rather simple usecase (in my opinion) a bad experience. But this is the Aries List, and the JaxRS Whiteboard implementations works very well right now. Thanks btw!

As of PRs, well for one I resurrected the aforementioned Johnzon based wrapper (was called ..jsonb) and placed it into its own repo, and started adding support for adapter registration, which was missing at that point. Yes, the issue with Johnzon i found, too. Currently its best do handle it all embedded (as in this case).
You think the JSONB Provider will be part of Johnzon or you see that in Aries JaxRS Whiteboard? In any case we'll need better documentation and sample projects.

Toni

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 4:45 AM, Toni Menzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Ray!
Yeah, coordination is probably the hardest part. It took me a while to stick together a (reliably) working but still minimal set to be usable in Karaf in this case.
The viral nature of CXF and Karaf Features in general make adopting a rather simple usecase (in my opinion) a bad experience. But this is the Aries List, and the JaxRS Whiteboard implementations works very well right now. Thanks btw!

As of PRs, well for one I resurrected the aforementioned Johnzon based wrapper (was called ..jsonb) and placed it into its own repo, and started adding support for adapter registration, which was missing at that point. Yes, the issue with Johnzon i found, too. Currently its best do handle it all embedded (as in this case).
You think the JSONB Provider will be part of Johnzon or you see that in Aries JaxRS Whiteboard?

I think we have enough buy-in from the right people to probably be able to make a good portion of the changes on those upstream projects. However, since we want to add a pretty significant level of configuration to the providers it may be best to keep that code in Aries. We'll see.

In any case we'll need better documentation and sample projects.

For certain!

Sincerely,
- Ray