jax-rs bootstrap of RFC-217

Raymond Auge
Hello everyone,

We're getting closer (slower than anticipated) to bootstrap Aries with the RFC-217 impl.

I'd like to ask about project structure. Currently we've got a gradle based build. Does Aries require the build to be maven?

Sincerely,
--
Raymond Augé (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect Liferay, Inc. (@Liferay)
Board Member & EEG Co-Chair, OSGi Alliance (@OSGiAlliance)

Re: jax-rs bootstrap of RFC-217

David Bosschaert
Hi Ray,

I'm not aware of any gradle build in any of the Aries components, so Maven would definitely be more uniform.
Also, by using maven you can easily, almost without effort, hook into some plugins are set up in the aries/apache parent poms to do additional checking, such as the license checking done by the RAT plugin.

So personally I think it would nice if the JAX-RS component could use Maven to build, but I don't think it's a definite requirement.

Cheers,

David

On 11 October 2016 at 19:10, Raymond Auge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

We're getting closer (slower than anticipated) to bootstrap Aries with the RFC-217 impl.

I'd like to ask about project structure. Currently we've got a gradle based build. Does Aries require the build to be maven?

Sincerely,
--
Raymond Augé (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect Liferay, Inc. (@Liferay)
Board Member & EEG Co-Chair, OSGi Alliance (@OSGiAlliance)

Re: jax-rs bootstrap of RFC-217

Christian Schneider
I would prefer maven as I am more familiar with it. If you choose gradle make sure you take some extra effort to explain how people do the build and also how to setup eclipse to work with the code.

In any case I propose to use a separate git repo for the new project from the start (Like Aries RSA). I would also rather not use the old parent in the main aries repo and
rather build a parent like I did in the Aries RSA project. The parent there might be lacking some few features but it makes the whole project so much simpler.
See https://github.com/apache/aries-rsa
I also propose to do the OSGi configs in bnd.bnd files from the start.

Christian

On 11.10.2016 20:10, Raymond Auge wrote:
Hello everyone,

We're getting closer (slower than anticipated) to bootstrap Aries with the RFC-217 impl.

I'd like to ask about project structure. Currently we've got a gradle based build. Does Aries require the build to be maven?

Sincerely,
--
Raymond Augé (@rotty3000)
Senior Software Architect Liferay, Inc. (@Liferay)