jndi - DataSource

Charles Moulliard
Hi,

I would like to know if we can already use Aries jndi to publish database reference "jdbc/xxxDB" and retrieve it from a bundle (where spring is used to handle transactions) ?

If the answer is yes, is there an example showing this ?

Kind regards,

Charles Moulliard
Senior Enterprise Architect
Apache Camel Committer

*****************************
blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedlin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard

Apache Camel Group : http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2447439&trk=anet_ug_hm

Re: jndi - DataSource

Alasdair Nottingham-2
Interesting question. The short answer is not yet. I'm working on a fix under ARIES-128.

I'll send an update tomorrow on what I plan to do.

Alasdair

On 2 Feb 2010, at 14:33, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know if we can already use Aries jndi to publish database reference "jdbc/xxxDB" and retrieve it from a bundle (where spring is used to handle transactions) ?

If the answer is yes, is there an example showing this ?

Kind regards,

Charles Moulliard
Senior Enterprise Architect
Apache Camel Committer

*****************************
blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedlin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard

Apache Camel Group : http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2447439&trk=anet_ug_hm

Re: jndi - DataSource

Alasdair Nottingham-2
Hi,

To follow up on my earlier, shorter, email. We do not appear to
implement the osgi.jndi.serviceName support. Even if we did it is not
clear to me, from the spec, that using compound names (i.e. having a
forward slash in the service name) is supported.. The spec defines a
lookup url to be as follows:

interface[/filter]

Where the interface is defined to be:

jndi-service-name | fully qualified name

It does not define jndi-service-name, but the text indicates this is a
replacement for the interface fully qualified name, which would
indicate forward slash is not valid.

In reality I think we should support this, so what I plan to do in
ARIES-128 is implement the following:

interface[/filter] | jndi-service-name

Which would allow you to do what you want.

Alasdair

Alasdair Nottingham

Re: jndi - DataSource

Charles Moulliard
Hi Alasdair,

Many thanks for your reply.

In the meantime, I have received this email from IBM (WebSphere Application Server v7 OSGI Alpha program) using Aries.

They have implemented something for jndi and also transaction in Blueprint. This is strange that they don't provide this code to Aries Project !

Thank you for your interest in the IBM WebSphere Application Server
Version 7.0 OSGi Applications Open Alpha.  We are happy to announce
that an updated version of the OSGi Applications alpha is now available.

In addition to many fixes, this early release of the OSGi Applications
Open Alpha offers a key new feature that you should be aware of:

- resource-references support for blueprint applications
A blueprint resource reference can be defined in blueprint as follows:

<blueprint
  xmlns="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/blueprint/v1.0.0"
  xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/blueprint/v1.0.0"
  xmlns:rr="
http://www.ibm.com/appserver/schemas/8.0/blueprint/resourcereference"
  xmlns:tx="
http://www.ibm.com/appserver/schemas/8.0/blueprint/transactions">

  <!-- The beans that is run with a transaction. -->
  <bean id="aBean"
        class="com.example.test.Bean">
    <property name="dataSource" ref="res-ref"/>
    <tx:transaction method="accessDataBase" value="Required"/>
  </bean>

  <rr:resource-reference id="res-ref"
          interface="javax.sql.DataSource"
          filter="(osgi.jndi.serviceName=jdbc/AccountDS2)">
    <rr:res-auth>Container</rr:res-auth>
    <rr:res-sharing-scope>Shareable</rr:res-sharing-scope>
  </rr:resource-reference>

</blueprint>

Please refer to the alpha documentation for more information.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:25 PM, Alasdair Nottingham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

To follow up on my earlier, shorter, email. We do not appear to
implement the osgi.jndi.serviceName support. Even if we did it is not
clear to me, from the spec, that using compound names (i.e. having a
forward slash in the service name) is supported.. The spec defines a
lookup url to be as follows:

interface[/filter]

Where the interface is defined to be:

jndi-service-name | fully qualified name

It does not define jndi-service-name, but the text indicates this is a
replacement for the interface fully qualified name, which would
indicate forward slash is not valid.

In reality I think we should support this, so what I plan to do in
ARIES-128 is implement the following:

interface[/filter] | jndi-service-name

Which would allow you to do what you want.

Alasdair

On 2 February 2010 19:06, Alasdair Nottingham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting question. The short answer is not yet. I'm working on a fix
> under ARIES-128.
> I'll send an update tomorrow on what I plan to do.
>
> Alasdair
> On 2 Feb 2010, at 14:33, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if we can already use Aries jndi to publish database
> reference "jdbc/xxxDB" and retrieve it from a bundle (where spring is used
> to handle transactions) ?
>
> If the answer is yes, is there an example showing this ?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Charles Moulliard
> Senior Enterprise Architect
> Apache Camel Committer
>
> *****************************
> blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
> twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
> Linkedlin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
>
> Apache Camel Group :
> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2447439&trk=anet_ug_hm

--
Alasdair Nottingham

Re: jndi - DataSource

Alasdair Nottingham-2
Hi,

The WebSphere Application Server v7 OSGI Alpha has the same JNDI restriction that Apache Aries does. The example shown for resource refs does not use JNDI, but uses a service lookup using the OSGi BundleContext.

I work for IBM and am contributing the URL support for JNDI via ARIES-128.

I hope this clears things up.

Alasdair

On 3 Feb 2010, at 06:11, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

indicate forward slash is not valid.

In reality I think we should support this, so what I plan to do in
ARIES-128 is implement the following:

interface[/filter] | jndi-service-name

Which would allow you to do what you want.

Alasdair

On 2 February 2010 19:06, Alasdair Nottingham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting question. The short answer is not yet. I'm working on a fix
> under ARIES-128.
> I'll send an update tomorrow on what I plan to do.
>
> Alasdair
> On 2 Feb 2010, at 14:33, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if we can already use Aries jndi to publish database
> reference "jdbc/xxxDB" and retrieve it from a bundle (where spring is used
> to handle transactions) ?
>
> If the answer is yes, is there an example showing this ?

Yes.

What is the IBM roadmap concerning the WAS v7 - OSGI, do they plan to provide this platform this year ? Will it be compliant with Java EE 6 (@Resource, ...) ?

On 2 February 2010 19:06, Alasdair Nottingham <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting question. The short answer is not yet. I'm working on a fix
> under ARIES-128.
> I'll send an update tomorrow on what I plan to do.
>
> Alasdair
> On 2 Feb 2010, at 14:33, Charles Moulliard <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if we can already use Aries jndi to publish database
> reference "jdbc/xxxDB" and retrieve it from a bundle (where spring is used
> to handle transactions) ?
>
> If the answer is yes, is there an example showing this ?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Charles Moulliard
> Senior Enterprise Architect
> Apache Camel Committer
>
> *****************************
> blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
> twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
> Linkedlin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard
>
> Apache Camel Group :
> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2447439&trk=anet_ug_hm

--
Alasdair Nottingham
[hidden email][hidden email]

Re: jndi - DataSource

Jeremy Hughes
I think discussion of IBM product roadmaps should be kept to IBM
forums. Can we keep this list to Apache Aries please.

Thanks,
Jeremy